Abotu setting 'PermitRootLogin=no' in sshd_config

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 25 20:26:22 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 09:20:35PM +0100, Petr Lautrbach wrote:
> There are several use cases when local non-root users are not needed at
> all as others already pointed out.

Including in some cases where there should both be no root password
_and_ no local non-system users.

> The change itself is simple however the problem is more complex overall.
> Here are some thoughts I have about the change:
> - administrators are alerted when they use weak password for root by
> anaconda

This has long been the case. However, if it explains _why_, I forget,
for the same reason that this never works. (Yeah yeah whatever, I just
want to install my system now and keep using "godmode" as my root
password just like I always have so I don't forget it.)

[more snipped]

> - default sudoers uses password of an user for authentication, so even
> when I have a non-root user in wheel group, I only need one user's
> password to become root

This is also the case already.

--
Matthew Miller