Abotu setting 'PermitRootLogin=no' in sshd_config

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 04:40:02 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Scott Schmit <i.grok at comcast.net> wrote:

>> >   Excellent! :)
>> >
>> > So far the consensus seem that it is okay to reverse the current
>> > default and set PermitRootLogin=no. I'll talk to the upstream
>> > maintainer - plautrba(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Plautrba).
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>>
>> We can install machine w/o user accounts, removing the ability to log
>> in as root via ssh means those machines will not be accessible.
>>
>> If you want to remove root access that should be conditionally done at
>> firstboot only if a user account was created.
>
> It seems to me that we could tweak this somewhat: "only if a user
> account was created OR remote users have been configured"

And in months that start with the letter "q", but not odd numbed
weekdays, and if I ate a tuna fish sandwich for lunch, but not if I'm
wearing white socks, and only on alternate years with a prime number,
etc, etc., etc.

Look, this is a basic system configuration. It's not "Cripple Mr.
Onion". Pick *one* setting, and let people know from that whether
they'll need to manipulate their local environments for their
particular subtle needs.

And for those who don't read Terry Pratchett stories,
http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Cripple_Mr_Onion