Trig functions from math.h

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 11:45:12 UTC 2014

On 26 November 2014 at 19:06, Les Howell <hlhowell at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Gentle developers:
>         I have some older code that used to compile, which I wish to reuse and
> maybe redesign.  However the code is C and uses the sinf function, which
> seems to have disappeared from math.h.  Can anyone tell me where this
> has gone?  The man pages no longer return the sinf function, Info pages
> say that it should be in either math.h or complex.h, but it is not.  The
> either math.h needs some modification (dated Sep 26 this year), and the
> man pages need updating, or the new function needs to be named,
> supported and the information on the Info pages needs to be updated.
> But in the interim, what is a work around?  Please don't tell me I have
> to code a trig function.

This is part of c99, so if it's not there it's a bug.

Don't have a Fedora box in front of me to test on, but it might not be
available if you don't supply "-lm" (in theory only applies to linking
the libraries, but I think it can have other effects), and may need to
specify a standard that includes it, possibly --std=c99 or --std=gnu99
to get the right definitions available. Defining _DEFAULT_SOURCE
suggested by Kevin Kofler may have a similar effect if your build
system is forcing c89 or something.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk