Packaging STLPlus

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:00:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 06:06 -0400, Pranav Kant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to package STLPlus
> (sourceforge.net/projects/stlplus/files/stlplus3/) library for fedora.
> There are few doubts I have in mind regarding packaging it.
>
> 1. The library is dependent on another project viz.
> 'makefiles' (http://sourceforge.net/projects/stlplus/files/makefiles/). This project is also distributed in a separate tar ball. This project only contains few helper files that are included by the STLPlus library's makefile (Hence, STLPlus requires this package for build only). Other projects can also make use of this project to write their makefiles quickly. I think makefiles project is more generic and not quite specific to STLPlus, hence must be packaged separately. Is it right to package it separately ? Though I understand that 'makefiles' name is too general and should be renamed to something else may be ?

"makefiles" should be packaged separately, yes. There's nothing in the
guidelines that stops you from using "makefiles" as the name. It doesn't
conflict with any other package. It'd be a good idea to see what name
other distributions use, but I think you should be able to use
"makefiles" without any trouble.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Package_Naming_and_Versioning_Guidelines

> 2. Re. Location of 'makefiles' project : Since, it only contains few
> helper files, I am wondering what would be the best location for
> installing these files ? datadir ? libdir ?

datadir seems to fit best to me. libdir is reserved for object libraries
and some executables according to the FHS:

--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Join Fedora! Come talk to us!