Packaging STLPlus

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Oct 1 14:08:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 06:06:44AM -0400, Pranav Kant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to package STLPlus (
> sourceforge.net/projects/stlplus/files/stlplus3/) library for fedora. There
> are few doubts I have in mind regarding packaging it.
>
> 1. The library is dependent on another project viz. 'makefiles' (
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/stlplus/files/makefiles/). This project is
> also distributed in a separate tar ball. This project only contains few
> helper files that are included by the STLPlus library's makefile (Hence,
> STLPlus requires this package for build only). Other projects can also make
> use of this project to write their makefiles quickly. I think makefiles
> project is more generic and not quite specific to STLPlus, hence must be
> packaged separately. Is it right to package it separately ? Though I
> understand that 'makefiles' name is too general and should be renamed to
> something else may be ?
I'm not sure if in this case the split is worth the additional time of
you, the reviewers, users, etc. Custom written makefiles are mostly a thing
of the past, and the great majority of projects are using autotools, cmake,
or language specific helpers. IMHO, chances that any other project would
start using 'makefiles' is approx. nil. So maybe just treat this as sigle
project in two tarfiles.

> 2. Re. Location of 'makefiles' project : Since, it only contains few helper
> files, I am wondering what would be the best location for installing these
> files ? datadir ? libdir ?
This seems like a lot of work, for ultimately no gain, or even negative
gain, since every new project with a custom build system is a PITA.

Zbyszek