[Base] F21 Alpha Docker base image release

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Oct 1 22:03:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 09:56:32 +0200
Václav Pavlín <vpavlin at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Dennis, could you please build Alpha base image with updated bash?
> (And probably also prepare F20 and Rawhide images so that we can
> really call the Fedora image official with all it's tags?

There is no looking back Alpha is done, Beta TC1 is out the door,
though the docker image is missing with kokji down I can not see why it
failed to compose. We can not go back.  Fedora 20 will never have
official docker images and we produce branched and rawhide images
nightly. so there is plenty of newer images available not sure what you
mean by "with all it's tags?"

> We should probably also consider using Fedora Cloud SIG account on
> github to push these image to Docker Automated builds - it would
> probably look better then using Lokesh's account (no offence:) ).

hithub is not an acceptable medium to use for Fedora release
engineering. as I understand it docker do not care where it is hosted
so long as things are in git that they can pull from. so we will use
fedorahosted.

> The *interim* workflow for uploading official Fedora image to Docker
> Hub would be:
>
> 1. Download tar.gz and ks from Koji
> 2. Unpack
> 3. Compress layer.tar as xz
not acceptable. if we must use different compression we will adjust
koji to compress things differently. we do not do manipulation of the
deliverables, we take them as they come out.

> 4. Upload Dockerfile, ks and *.tar.xz to Fedora Cloud SIG github
> repository (same as
releng will upload to fedorahosted.

> https://github.com/lsm5/docker-brew-fedora/tree/21) 5. Update
> https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/blob/master/library/fedora
>
> I agree with Matt we should ship what we have and follow up with
> Docker on enablement of import for our images (containing metadata)
> built in Koji.

I am all for shipping what we have. we need to work out how to actually
do it.

> Does this make sense to you? If there will be no objections, could we
> vote?
- -1 for your proposal as is.