Dash as default shell

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Oct 2 06:42:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, 01.10.14 22:19, Chris Adams (linux at cmadams.net) wrote:

> One thing that might be a good topic for consideration: is there a
> reasonable way to allow different implementations to take the /bin/sh
> symlink?  Could this be handled through the alternatives system, so that
> admins could choose bash vs. dash vs. whatever?

The shell is API. Currently, if people write shell (#!/bin/sh) scripts
on Fedora, they can be sure that the same language is available on all
Fedora installations. If you suddenly make /bin/sh something that
might be different on all systems, you pretty much break API there.

In general, I am pretty sure that except a couple of programming
language or UNIX aficionades very few people can actually correctly
separate bashisms from true bourneshellisms.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat