Dash as default shell

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 08:04:56 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 09:14 AM, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

>    /bin/sh isn't supposed to "stay in memory". It's for one-off scripts,
> not for interactive use.

It will stay in memory around command invocations, and the executable
code and mapped data will remain in the page cache (hopefully).

Allegedly, dash has reduced memory requirements, so the net benefit
might still be positive, but it seems unlikely.  For small (cloud)
images, it might be interesting to get rid of bash altogether, but
considering how many scripts start with #!/bin/bash instead of
#!~/bin/sh, it's not likely to work.

If we are not satisfied with bash, I think we are all better off with
improving bash.