Dash as default shell

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Oct 2 08:40:10 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 09:47 AM, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Dne 2.10.2014 v 08:33 Lennart Poettering napsal(a):

> On the other hand - usage of dash significantly speeds up  compilation of
> autoconf projects - it's pretty interesting to see the compilation with
> dash
> is then maybe even 50% faster in non optimized builds (depends on how
> many shells are forked during autoconf builds)

I don't know what you tested, but I don't see a substantial speed up on
running autoconf-generated configure scripts:

# time SHELL=/bin/bash CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash /bin/bash ../configure ...
real	0m5.775s
user	0m0.528s
sys	0m0.217s

# time SHELL=/bin/dash CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/dash /bin/dash ../configure ...
real	0m5.495s
user	0m0.340s
sys	0m0.194s

Another, more extensive test case:
* bash;
real	1m43.115s
user	0m34.708s
sys	0m16.322s

* dash:
real	1m33.283s
user	0m30.834s
sys	0m13.932s

In other words, I am observing a 5-10% speed up on running autoconf
configure scripts.

Ralf