Dash as default shell

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Oct 2 09:32:29 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 11:04 AM, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Dne 2.10.2014 v 10:40 Ralf Corsepius napsal(a):
>> On 10/02/2014 09:47 AM, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>>> Dne 2.10.2014 v 08:33 Lennart Poettering napsal(a):

> It used to give significant boost for automake & libtool based software
> - however at some point libtool started to use bashisms and so you
> cannot just replace  /bin/sh -> dash - as build will fail.
> (zsh doesn't seem to boost the speed)
My test cases do not involve libtool, just autoconf and automake
generated files.

> Also I said - upto 50% - which depends on complexity of configure files.
The complex case involves 47 recursive configure scripts and 329
automake-generated Makefiles ;)

> But even your personally measured 10% speed is in my eyes pretty
> significant if you do builds all day and surely outweighs some RAM (and
> IMHO even RAM will be actually still positive anyway on dash side if you
> do parallel builds)
I do not share this view. IMO, reliability outweighs this speed up.
Provided Fedora doesn't have any experience with dash, I am very
reluctant on claims concerning dash.

Ralf