Dash as default shell

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Thu Oct 2 13:18:14 UTC 2014

On 10/1/2014 22:39, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Since the recent Shellshock aka Bashdoor vulnerability, there have
> been some discussions about more distributions switching over...

So there's a vulnerability found in bash, it gets patched almost
immediately, and all of a sudden there's a push to abandon it
altogether?  If this is the proper thought process, then Heartbleed
should've made everyone dump openSSL.  Carried to the extreme, most
software should be completely abandoned then because none of it is
completely bug free.  This sounds like mindless panic to me.

Also, let's not forget that SELinux is baked into Fedora.  Even if
something does get access to the system, it is contained to a large
degree.  This is something I seldom hear about when this particular bug
is discussed in the media.

Tom