Dash as default shell

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Oct 2 13:21:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, 02.10.14 14:12, Daniel P. Berrange (berrange at redhat.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 08:07:14AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Once upon a time, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> said:
> > > Changing the default /bin/sh is going to break the world.
> >
> > [citation needed]
> >
> > Anything that depends on bash as /bin/sh is already getting Fedora
> > specific.  Debian/Ubuntu don't use bash as /bin/sh for years, and none
> > of the other major Unix-like systems (e.g. *BSD, Solaris, etc.) have
> > ever used bash as /bin/sh.
> >
> > To say "it is a lot of work" or "is going to break the world", the
> > requirement for proof is on you.
>
> Yep, I'm pretty sceptical that it would be alot of work because the
> vast majority of programs have long ago dealt with the pain in order
> to run on Debian correctly.  The only areas I'd see it being a problem
> is in Fedora/RHEL specific code. Stuff like initscripts (thankfully
> almost all killed due to systemd) and ifcfg-XXX network scripts (still
> around but mostly irrelevant if you are willing use NetworkManager).

I am more concerned about code written by admins and users. I kinda
hope that we don't ship too massive shell programs in Fedora, (well,
except of course autoconf scripts...), but I am pretty sure that shell
is one of the most common languages used by admins to do things, and
that's where we should be really careful to not break things.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat