Dash as default shell

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 2 13:42:58 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Tom Rivers wrote:
>>
>> So there's a vulnerability found in bash, it gets patched almost
>> immediately, and all of a sudden there's a push to abandon it altogether?
>

> That is a mischaracterization.  Bash will remain the interactive shell.
> This discussion is limited  to switching the system shell (/bin/sh) from
> Bash to potentially Dash.

But the prompt for doing so is a security incident that has already
been fixed.  If this was really a worthwhile endeavour, why hasn't it
come up before?  This is, at its core, a knee-jerk reaction with
little actual data to support a switch.

I would have rather seen this come up as a proposal with data showing
dash is faster or more secure or more compatible, etc.  Until
something like that shows up, I think we're just going to wind up with
a long thread that doesn't actually accomplish anything.

josh