Proposal: Increasing application icon sizes to 64px

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 14:17:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> Designing an application for the lowest common denominator does not
> give you a high-quality cohesive application that's easy to use and
> nice on the eye. It gives you a miss-mash of ugly noise that's hard to
> use. I think it's fine that we are essentially saying "you have to do
> X, Y, Z to be showcased on the workstation". I've essentially slipped
> into the role of the person making the decisions about the software
> installer on the workstation product, and also upstream maintainer of
> most of this stuff. If anybody wants to refer any of my decisions up
> to the workstation working group, I'd be happy to talk to them, but
> I've a feeling they would be *less* forgiving than I'm currently
> being.

I think that is a bad idea to exclude applications from a Software manager,
because they don't live up to some visual quality guidelines.
It don't benfit the endusers, if the software manager only shows 50% of the
gui applications in the Fedora repositories.
What about not showing the icons if they dont have the need size, just show
a default icon based on the application category
they you have both the good look and a lot of applications.

Tim