Dash as default shell

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Thu Oct 2 15:59:10 UTC 2014

On 10/2/2014 11:13, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Sure but the rationale isn't just security as I have explained
> earlier.  Do read the links and other mails fully.

I have read the emails fully.  Sure, I see where you said there were
other reasons later in the discussion, but that's not what your original
point was.  When I addressed that initial point, you ignored the basis
of what I wrote and instead brought up a technicality regarding the
scope of the switch.  When I pointed that out, you told me you ignored
the point I was initially trying to make because it was irrelevant.  All
I have been trying to do is simply make the point that it is relevant.
Thank you for finally acknowledging the veracity of my argument.  I
guess the third time really is the charm.

> FYI, I am a contributor for pretty much the entire history of the
> project and we are merely discussing something.  Noone is expecting
> someone else to single handedly do anything.

I am fully aware of your status and I never said anything about someone
having to do anything single-handed.  Do read what I have read fully and
please don't put words in my mouth.

You know, you could've simply replied to my original take on your
self-described opportunistic proposal with something like, "No, Tom, I'm
not just making this proposal because of Shellshock.  I really think
there are some merits to dash.  Here are a few..." or something like
that.  Instead, I get a terse, cherry-picked, technical comment as to
the scope of the switch followed by a bunch of rhetorical slight of hand
as you change the focus.  Let's stay on target from now on, OK?

Tom