Dash as default shell

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 16:16:07 UTC 2014

Dne 2.10.2014 v 18:00 Haïkel napsal(a):

>>    Also it will reduce differences between Linux distribution. And take us
>> closed to what majority (Ubuntu and Debian) does.
>>

> I don't see the point, now that we use systemd ...
> Besides, even on Debian/Ubuntu, Bash is still the most popular script
> shell interpreter, having two shell in memory would be a regression.

It's really fun read such arguments.

So now I can see systemd-journal - eats over 8M of RAM (compared with 2M for
rsyslog) it's wasting CPU doing useless jobs for 95% of users - now I'd call
this a major regression.

Every bash eats around 4M of resident memory.

Compared with less then 0.8M for dash.

Now - I'm not advocating for switching to dash as default - not at all - I'm
well aware how bashism spread everywhere.

I'd rather see fixed and improved bash with reduce memory footprint.

Just please STOP using those senseless  arguments...

Zdenek