How to handle upgrades to Fedora 21

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 3 16:37:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 04:28:22PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> The thing to note is that in all scenarios, the user *MUST* fully update
> their F20 system first, or the results will be undefined and could be
> unpleasant. We need to spell this out very clearly to our upgrading
> users.

Here's what I'm thinking...

Converting from vanilla to and from productized Fedora is a separate issue
from upgrading. It's something that someone might want to do at any point,
and it's something that we'll want to have beyond just the F21 release.

I can see the convenience value of letting people check a box or give a flag
at the F20->F21 upgrade point. I wish we had thought of that several months
ago, but I don't think anyone did (or we dropped it if it were mentioned,
sadly). At this point, since the fedup maintainers aren't sold and we're
working on validating the beta already, *and* because the upgrade-to-convert
situation is a one time thing, I think we should put our efforts into the
convert-at-any-time situation.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>