How to handle upgrades to Fedora 21

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 21:06:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-03 at 16:57 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> To that end, fedup will grow a new mandatory option: --product. It will
> take one of four arguments: "standard" (non-productized), "server",
> "workstation" or cloud.

I volunteered to come up with the text if you dont' specify --product.
An initial draft follows:

-----------------
This installation of Fedora does not belong to a product, so you
must provide the --product=PRODUCTNAME option to specify what product
you want to upgrade to. PRODUCTNAME should be one of:

 workstation: the default Fedora experience for laptops and desktops
 server: the default Fedora experience for servers
 cloud: a base image for use on public and private clouds
 standard: choose this if none of the above apply; in particular choose
   this if you are using an alternate-desktop spin of Fedora

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading for more information.

Feedback from this wide audience appreciated. Would you know what option
to pick?

Thanks,
Owen