dnf vs yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Oct 4 14:08:24 UTC 2014

> I am sorry I did not fully follow the discussions earlier.
> I only recall it was supposed to exist some compatibility
> layer at some point.
>
>    But I keep all the time needing to
>
> $ sudo rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*

there is no need to do so

> because I forget and use yum instead of dnf in rawhide.
>
> I am not really needing anything special, just install
> a package, or run "dnf update" to update rawhide

but why do you think you need to touch anything below
/var/lib/rpm/? that's the rpm database you should never
touch without damned good reasons like follow dist-upgrade
instructions

you can happily use "yum" and "dnf" on the same setup
all the time and the warnings "rpm database modified"
or similar are harmless, you may even trigger them by
touch the rpmdb by hand