dnf vs yum

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 14:49:16 UTC 2014

  First think of me of as just an slightly above average user :)

>> I am sorry I did not fully follow the discussions earlier.
>> I only recall it was supposed to exist some compatibility
>> layer at some point.
>>
>>    But I keep all the time needing to
>>
>> $ sudo rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
>

> there is no need to do so

  I switched to using dnf because yum stopped working at
some point. I think it was something related to a libdb-5
update when only dnf would work.

>> because I forget and use yum instead of dnf in rawhide.
>>
>> I am not really needing anything special, just install
>> a package, or run "dnf update" to update rawhide
>

> but why do you think you need to touch anything below
> /var/lib/rpm/? that's the rpm database you should never
> touch without damned good reasons like follow dist-upgrade
> instructions

  I learned to do that (rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*) long long ago, as the
standard way to recover from "minor" rpm database corruption. But
I survived extreme cases where not even "rpm --rebuilddb" would
work. As long as the Packages database is not (completely) corrupted,
it should be possible to recover...

> you can happily use "yum" and "dnf" on the same setup
> all the time and the warnings "rpm database modified"
> or similar are harmless, you may even trigger them by
> touch the rpmdb by hand

  It does not work for me... I sent the email because, I again, forgot
and run
$ sudo yum update

and gone to another terminal, a bit later I learned that yum
thought all updates would be duplicates, so I did

$ sudo rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
$ sudo dn update

sent the email, and now, update to latest rawhide has already
finished...

Thanks,
Paulo