How to handle upgrades to Fedora 21

Jaroslav Nahorny jaroslav at hackerspace.pl
Sat Oct 4 16:08:36 UTC 2014

Reindl Harald writes:

> Am 03.10.2014 um 23:57 schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
>> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>>     "generic" is technical speak or for "normal" people outside IT at best
>>     has a negative context to "generica" and spam

I never heared about „generica” and seing the term „generic” I don't
have any associations with spam.

>>     - "standard" for the
>>     ordinary user means "not specialized so likely the best decision for me"
>>
>> Exactly the message Fedora doesn't want to send to its users. Thanks
>> for confirming

+1

> why? "not specialized" means "i can likely do anything i want with that" and is true
>
> it is the exactly right message for any user which has no clue
> what the products may mean for him or if he is unsure which
> one is the best - so in doubt just use "standard" and later
> install whatever you need as all the years before is the
> correct decision
>
> why would you try to force somebody to a "prodcut setup"
> if he can't give you an answer to the question "which"?

From my understanding and impression the approach Fedora had so far is
exactly opposite to what you are describing now.
The „standard” and „default” was a full desktop with Gnome. And the
„install minimal whatever, and decide later what to do” has always been
a „custom” / „minimal” installation. Calling it now „standard” is indeed
confusing.

Especially for user which has no clue.

„Standard” should be something *well* defined. Not a „whatever”
configuration different for each user.
Personally I don't care, but thinking about newcomers and less
experienced users, I'd strongly vote for changing the name „standard” to
something different if it is not too late.

--
jaroslav