dnf vs yum

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 22:10:29 UTC 2014

> Hi
>
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
>>
>>   I did not remove "plain" yum so far on purpose, because I was expecting
>> it to be automatically replaced, or kept working, but only now I sent a
>> note
>> about the problems I noticed :)
>

> Would you filing a bug report against yum or dnf?  I use both
> interchangeability (for testing dnf) and I haven't run into this issue.

  I checked that I was talking from experience as 1 or more weeks
ago. For a single package install indeed, dnf and yum are now
working.

  I figured I have a lot of duplicates left from some earlier update,
for example:

$ rpm -q xz-libs
xz-libs-5.1.2-13alpha.fc22.x86_64
xz-libs-5.1.2-15alpha.fc22.x86_64
xz-libs-5.1.2-15alpha.fc22.i686

  So, I should work on some script to rpm -e --justdb the older ones.
The initial report in this thread was due to another kind of error, e.g.
"yum update" says among thousands of other lines:

xz-libs-5.1.2-15alpha.fc22.i686 is a duplicate with
xz-libs-5.1.2-13alpha.fc22.x86_64

but yum output could be good as input for some script attempting
to fix my rawhide, example:

4:texlive-zxjafbfont-svn28539.0-2.fc22.noarch is a duplicate with
4:texlive-zxjafbfont-svn28539.0-1.fc22.noarch
4:texlive-zxjafont-svn30105.0.2-2.fc22.noarch is a duplicate with
4:texlive-zxjafont-svn30105.0.2-1.fc22.noarch
4:texlive-zxjatype-svn28541.0.6-2.fc22.noarch is a duplicate with
4:texlive-zxjatype-svn28541.0.6-1.fc22.noarch

  Just to have an idea:

$ sudo yum update >& /tmp/yum
$ wc -l /tmp/yum
3589 /tmp/yum
$ sudo dnf update >& /tmp/dnf
$ wc -l /tmp/dnf
2 /tmp/dnf
$ cat /tmp/dnf
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_file_a_bug_report
>
> http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/dnf

  If I manage to make a clean bug report I will submit it. Rawhide changes
too fast that when one takes some time, and fills a bug report, it may have
been already fixed :)

> Rahul

Thanks,
Paulo