btrfs as default filesystem for F22?

Gene Czarcinski gczarcinski at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 19:03:20 UTC 2014

On 10/05/2014 09:50 AM, Josef Bacik wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2014 11:32 PM, "Andre Robatino" <robatino at fedoraproject.org
> <mailto:robatino at fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
> >
> > openSUSE 13.2, scheduled for release in November, will have btrfs as the
> > default filesystem. What are the chances that F22 will follow suit,
> assuming
> > openSUSE has no major problems with it?
> >
> > https://news.opensuse.org/2014/09/22/
> >

> My plan is to push for F23, I'm still wrapping up some balance bugs
> and some other issues we've found at work and then this will be my
> next priority.  Suse benefits from having a narrow "supported"
> criteria, like only use it with lots of space and don't use any of the
> RAID stuff, plus they have two kernel guys on it and Dave Sterba who
> is now in charge of btrfs-progs. Fedora unfortunately has me who has
> Facebook work to do and Eric who is a professional fs juggler. We will
> get there, and when we do it will be less painful than its going to be
> for Suse since they will have fixed it all for us ;).  Thanks,

F23 sounds about right to me.  I am very much a fan of BTRFS and
currently use it on all of my systems with few problems but I think that
F22 is a bit early to make it the default.

However, I do believe that there a couple of things that need to happen
to make thjings easier/better:

1.  The Fedora developers/maintainers need to take BTRFS more seriously
and address btrfs related problems seriously and quickly. Yes, I know
that BTRFS swap draining is a little bit difficult to deal with when you
are up to you rear end in alligators but, a little more attension please.

2.  Currently anaconda supports supports installation of /boot on BTRFS
either as a simple directory on a BTRFS volume (yes, I don't understand
why someone would do this but ...), as a simple directory on a rootfs
("/") subvolume, or as a spepate subvolume.  Grub2.02 also supports this
and grubby will support if "real soon now" when pjones can get enough
time to examine and integrate my grubby patches adding BTRFS support.

3.  About the only thing that I would like to see changed is to move the
drop-down menu which selects the filesystem type from the "custom" to
the previous (disks?) panel.  This would allow a user to select BTRFS
and then let anaconda do its automagic allocation. Yes, I now it is not
that hard to select custom, then select BTRFS and then click on the auto
allocation.

Anyway, we are getting close.

Gene