Dash as default shell

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 06:53:17 UTC 2014

Dne 6.10.2014 v 08:21 Paolo Bonzini napsal(a):
> Il 04/10/2014 18:17, Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
>>
>> And yes - with UsrMove we lost distinction between
>> what are system tools
>> and
>> what are usr tools.
>
> What you call "system tools" is simply the content of the initramfs.
>
> Paolo

Close - but not exactly.

initramfs needs to have only those tool to mount root volume.
So while my system could have richer set of tools,
not all of those are necessary to bring up the system.

Anyway the main idea is - these basic system tools could happily live
with  'dash' as in /bin/sh - while the users may enjoy bash shell.

Often invocation of sh being bash is just expensive - and it's even more then
that when such shell is purely used to reexec some other command.

Of course I'm fully aware people are not going to change their habits,
and don't care about that at all - and just always expect bash....

Zdenek