btrfs as default filesystem for F22?

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 13:50:19 UTC 2014

On 10/06/2014 08:54 AM, Josef Bacik wrote:

> Well that's exactly what it is, go away I'm busy with other stuff :).  The
> fact is I'm the only one who can drive btrfs as the default filesystem feature
> in Fedora, and since I've left Red Hat that has become much less of an
> priority for me.  But my "other stuff" is still mostly related to btrfs, so
> its not like this has just been abandoned, the focus has just shifted and I no
> longer feel like we need to be using btrfs as the default fs in Fedora to have
> a successful project, so it got moved down the priority list.  It will happen,
> and when it happens it will be relatively painless because Suse will have
> worked out a lot of the distro esque kinks and us at Facebook will have worked
> out a lot of the at scale kinks.  Thanks,
>
> Josef

I think that the out of space issues are not that different from any file system
on write enabled snapshots - it certainly can be mysterious and confuse users,
but that is something that we have to deal with in order to get this kind of
sophistication into end users hands (documentation? better tooling like the
snapper tool, etc?).

One of the harder challenges I think for btrfs is still getting the repair tools
rock solid - how is our track record these days with repairing btrfs after bad
things happen :) ?

Regards,

Ric