Dash as default shell

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 15:57:27 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 02:29:53PM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > >Is it worth considering using Dash as the default (non-interactive)
> > >shell in Fedora?  Other distributions including Ubuntu and Debian
> > >(https://lwn.net/Articles/343924/) have been using dash as the default
> > >shell and Android uses mksh.  While this appears to have been done
> > >primary to increase bootup efficiency (which is not relevant with
> > >systemd), it might help with security
> >
> > More bashism's in .spec files:
> > + pushd src
> > /tmp/rpm/rpm-tmp.047Jay: 43: /tmp/rpm/rpm-tmp.047Jay: pushd: not found
>
> All the other things aside, I think it'd be fine for us to leave bash as the
> shell for spec file scripts even if we changed /bin/sh and/or the root
> shell.

At that point switching anything to dash can _only increase_, not reduce, the disk space needed, and is very likely to increase the total page cache usage/requirement as well.  Bringing the benefits of supporting dash to… the satisfaction of pedantically using the POSIX /bin/sh path as frequently as possible?
    Mirek