No more deltarpms by default

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Oct 6 17:57:15 UTC 2014

Am 06.10.2014 um 19:45 schrieb Florian Festi:
> On 10/06/2014 06:53 PM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
>>> Get to coding. ;)
>>
>> As mentioned elsewhere, the problem *is* signatures.  yum (quite
>> rightly) refuses to install an rpm whose signature doesn't match the one
>> in the primary repodata.  And I believe that the signature in the RPM is
>> also over the whole compressed rpm.  To make this work, we'd need to add
>> an "uncompressed" signature for every package to the primary repodata as
>> well as probably the rpms themselves.
>>
>> We have already written the code to have yum run applydeltarpm in
>> parallel according to the number of processors on a system, but it
>> remains a single-threaded application that spends most of its time
>> recompressing the data.
>
> The way of getting around all this unnecessary computation is
> establishing trust via the deltarpm itself and giving up the idea of
> reconstructing the originally rpm as a prove of everything worked out
> just fine.
>
> To save even more time the delta would need to be applied directly on
> disk without creating an package at all. This would require a deeper
> integration with rpm and requires some tricky algorithms to make sure
> everything is ok in advance and won't blow up during the rpm
> transaction. So if anyone needs a hobby...

oh no - don't tie all together for reasons which did not destory the
world over years - it is a damned good design that the part dealing with
rpm packages don't need to know anything aboutt delta rpms because the
normal packages are created before that step

don't break the unix-way of work the current behavior follows for no
good reason and there is none - otherwise deltarpm would not have been
default over years the way it works now