btrfs as default filesystem for F22?

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Tue Oct 7 15:04:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Gene Czarcinski <gczarcinski at gmail.com>
wrote:

> However, there are some things that could be done to make it easier for
> those of us who want to make it easier to install Fedora onto a btrfs
> filesystem.
>
> My point was that unless and until there is more support for BTRFS by
> members of the Fedora Project, btrfs cannot be made the default.  That
> is, *IF* it makes sense to have it be the default.

That is a good point.  I've been using BTRFS Raid 6 across 6 1TB drives for
over a year now with (knock on wood) no issues.  I did this because of the
simplicity of setting up RAID under BTRFS and for me at least that is the
biggest attraction.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but there almost seemed (and still
is, IMO) an active discouragement for people to use this configuration.
You're not going to attract people to use and test something if you
simultaneously tell them it is toxic.  Also, you can't jump from don't use
it, it isn't safe to ok, let's make it the system default.