btrfs as default filesystem for F22?

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 16:57:56 UTC 2014

On 7 Oct 2014 16:05, "Gerald B. Cox" <gbcox at bzb.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Gene Czarcinski <gczarcinski at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> However, there are some things that could be done to make it easier for
those of us who want to make it easier to install Fedora onto a btrfs
filesystem.

>> My point was that unless and until there is more support for BTRFS by
members of the Fedora Project, btrfs cannot be made the default.  That is,
IF it makes sense to have it be the default.

> That is a good point.  I've been using BTRFS Raid 6 across 6 1TB drives
for over a year now with (knock on wood) no issues.  I did this because of
the simplicity of setting up RAID under BTRFS and for me at least that is
the biggest attraction.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but there almost seemed (and
still is, IMO) an active discouragement for people to use this
configuration.  You're not going to attract people to use and test
something if you simultaneously tell them it is toxic.  Also, you can't
jump from don't use it, it isn't safe to ok, let's make it the system
default.

In case you are unaware this is a terrible idea for any data you care about
at this point as scrubs don't work for raid5/6 right now and replacing a
lost drive as a result is ... Finicky at best.

Essentially for all intents raid 5/6 is as safe as raid0   and super
experimental without the benefit of a working scrub on raid0 at present ...

Any data you care about on btrfs must be raid1 or raid10 depending on the
number of drives (with metadata and system set to raid1).