btrfs as default filesystem for F22?

Gene Czarcinski gczarcinski at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 12:39:53 UTC 2014

On 10/07/2014 11:04 AM, Gerald B. Cox wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Gene Czarcinski
> <gczarcinski at gmail.com <mailto:gczarcinski at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     However, there are some things that could be done to make it
>     easier for those of us who want to make it easier to install
>     Fedora onto a btrfs filesystem.
>
>     My point was that unless and until there is more support for BTRFS
>     by members of the Fedora Project, btrfs cannot be made the
>     default.  That is, *IF* it makes sense to have it be the default.
>

> That is a good point.  I've been using BTRFS Raid 6 across 6 1TB
> drives for over a year now with (knock on wood) no issues.  I did this
> because of the simplicity of setting up RAID under BTRFS and for me at
> least that is the biggest attraction.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but there
> almost seemed (and still is, IMO) an active discouragement for people
> to use this configuration.  You're not going to attract people to use
> and test something if you simultaneously tell them it is toxic.  Also,
> you can't jump from don't use it, it isn't safe to ok, let's make it
> the system default.

I also use raid (d=raid0, m=raid1) and it is nice to have a multidevice
btrfs volume where you can add an additional device to the volume and
also have btrfs shuffle the data to spread  it over all the devices.

Also, if there are bugs then they need to be discovered and fixed. They
will not get discovered unless btrfs is used.  If the btrfs developers
knew there are a bug, it would have been already fixed.

Gene