Dash as default shell

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Wed Oct 8 15:11:24 UTC 2014

My thought is this whole topic was started as a result of the recent Bash
vulnerability which has since been corrected.  Not bad for a product that
has been around for decades.  Nothing against Dash, but changing a default
isn't something that should be done each time the wind changes direction.
A bit of disk space savings or processing time IMO isn't a sufficient
reason either. That can change quite rapidly between products and their
updates.  When a default is chosen it sets up an expectation of familiarity
and stability within the user community.  It shouldn't be changed unless
there is an EXTREMELY compelling reason.  I've seen quite a few posts
lately regarding the changing of this default or that default.  I think
what gets lost in these conversations is what default status means.  People
are down in the weeds and can't see the forest for the trees.