rpm 4.12 and weak dependencies

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Thu Oct 9 16:05:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 11:03:20AM -0400, Miloslav Trma?? wrote:
> [...]
> That documentation belongs upstream (and should _not_ be just repeated within our packaging guidelines IMHO).

>From an rpm upstream point of view, we don't know much about what
those dependencies do. We simply relay the information from
the packager to the dependency solver tool.

> Rather, there are Fedora-specific questions to figure out.
>
> * That page says that Suggests/Enhances: will prompt the user.  Do any of the Fedora tools actually do that?  Do the _relevant_ tools do that?  If not, we shouldn???t be using these tags I guess.

DNF does not do anything with Suggests/Enhances. Libsolv uses them
to tiebreak decisions if multiple packages provide something.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg