rpm 4.12 and weak dependencies

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 15:32:05 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 11:09 AM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>
> > especially as we are taking the RPM-level control away from the users
> > completely in cloud
>
> How is that?

We ship filesystem images with many installed packages.  Removing the packages from an existing image is possible but fairly pointless because it will not decrease the maximum image size.  And the way to spin up a new VM quickly is to clone a disk image, not to install it from a set of RPMs.  RPMs still exist but are not something users interact with the way we keep updating one RPM at a time in workstations.

> > and Atomic images already.
>
> See:
>
> https://lists.projectatomic.io/projectatomic-archives/atomic-devel/2014-October/msg00005.html

Interesting.