Multiple problems with multiple monitors

Basil Mohamed Gohar basilgohar at librevideo.org
Tue Oct 14 15:08:14 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-13 05:18 PM, David Airlie wrote:

>> I've searched for bugs related to the specific problems I've been
>> having, and
>> I've not been able to find anything that describes what I'm seeing.
>>
>> I have an HP EliteBook 840 that also comes with an UltraDock, to which
>> I've
>> plugged-in two external monitors and I use in conjunction with the
>> built-in
>> laptop display.
>
> What Fedora distro are you using?
>
> Does this laptop have multiple GPUs? what GPU is it etc.
>
> You probably should file a bug against the primary GPU with the dmesg.
>
>> Issue #2: When I undock my laptop while logged-in, Gnome Shell just
>> crashes.
>> When I redock after the laptop has been started when unconnected, one
>> of the
>> two external monitors start-up (the one connected by VGA), but not the
>> one
>> connected by a DisplayPort connection. And, recently (but not when I
>> first
>> started using this laptop with the dock, which was about a month ago),
>> now
>> when I start-up with the laptop docked and both external monitors
>> connected,
>> both external monitors will be active, but the built-in display will
>> show
>> nothing. Gnome Shell reports the built-in display is active, but will
>> not
>> display anything unless I deactivate it and reactivate it via the
>> settings
>> "Displays" utility.
>
> This sounds like MST releated but I can't say without more info.
>
> Dave.

Completing my previous message with the requested information.  Here is
the GPU info as given by lspci:

> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
> 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
> [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8730M]

I am running Fedora 20 on this laptop.  From lshw output:

>    product: HP EliteBook 840 G1 (D1F43AV)
>    vendor: Hewlett-Packard
>    version: A3009DD10303

So that I understand, should I file a bug against dmesg mentioning the
Intel GPU listed above?  And what other information do you need from me
regarding the MST point above?  I'm happy to provide whatever I can.
Thanks again!

--
Libre Video
http://librevideo.org