bugzilla usage trends

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Tue Oct 14 19:24:41 UTC 2014

On 10/11/2014 09:44 PM, John Reiser wrote:
>> bug velocity (increase in  the bug number divided by the time
 >> interval) over time
 > That quotient is a scalar.  Please use "bug rate" instead of "bug
 > velocity".Easy mnemonic: Velocity is a Vector, Speed is a Scalar.
 > "Velocity" has multiple syllables and multiple coordinates, "speed"
 > has one syllable and one coordinate.

As a physicist, I see your point but I believe you are mistaken in
principle. Velocity is indeed a vector quantity, but it is a vector in
the parameter space you are considering. In our 3D world, velocity
vector is a time derivative of the 3D displacement. In the bugzilla
case, the system variable is scalar, so velocity is a scalar too.
Normally, speed is the absolute value of velocity---one has to work hard
at teasing it out of simple-to-get velocity; in this case they just are
the same.

'bug velocity' just rolled off the tongue, simply because 'bug' is
monosylabic and it somehow created a nice 'foot'. 'bug speed' sound
awkward to me, although I kind-of like 'bug rate'.

 > [Irony: the original poster has an address @nist.gov (US National
 > Institute of Standards and Technology), where they should know and
 > appreciate the difference.]

Please don't mix my work in it. I don't speak for them, and they don't
for me, especially on Fedora issues.