Engineering Representiatve for the new Fedora Council

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:21:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 04:52:08PM +0200, Haïkel wrote:
> I'll be speaking in my own name:
>
> The Eng. Rep. is not necessarily a Fesco member but should be
> someone willing to collaborate regularly with them.  She should have
> a fairly broad overview of Fedora Engineering and be an active
> contributor.
>
> The ideal candidate should be someone who has experience in the
> technical committees, and able to communicate effectively with
> various groups.  You don't need to be a "super contributor", but
> this is no role for a rookie as the time commitment will be
> important.  About the selection, since it will take a lot of your
> time, I think that interested people should nominate themselves.
> Then, either fesco choose to hold an election or not is up to them.
>
> Though I have few names in mind, I won't disclose them before
> speaking with them.  Some are obvious, the others may surprise you
> ;)

Although I may not have all the deep technical knowledge of some FESCo
members, I'd be willing to serve in this capacity.  I do have
experience working with different groups in Fedora, including the
Board and FESCo, and release related groups like Rel-Eng, Docs, L10n,
and Websites.

I also manage the team in Red Hat that supports our infrastructure and
applications.  That could come in handy in helping the Council direct
resources to work on the priorities needed for Fedora to succeed.

However, I want to be clear that my being involved is *not* a
pre-requisite for that support.  I would expect to support Matthew and
the Council regardless.  I'm sure there are other worthy candidates,
and I'd work with any of them who fill this role.