man-db without cache update (no cron or systemd *.timer)

Jan Chaloupka jchaloup at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 11:34:51 UTC 2014

On 10/16/2014 12:56 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 16.10.2014 v 10:35 Jan Chaloupka napsal(a):
>> Forwarding Colin's response
>> =================================

>>> users
>>> download
>>> systemd.".
>> Have you considered installing the timer file, but without the
>> dependency?  If systemd is there, it could use it, otherwise not.  That
>> would make a whole lot more sense to me than creating another package,
>> and would be my recommendation.

This did not crossed my mind.

> Actually that is good idea IMO. The %post script could silently fail if
> no systemd is no the system.

Agree with Vita, this sound very good to me. Made a test build and it is
working fine.
Now the installation is much more smaller:

  Package      Arch    Version Repository                       Size
Installing:
  man-db       x86_64  2.6.7.1-10.fc21 /man-db-2.6.7.1-10.fc21.x86_64
1.7 M
Installing for dependencies:
  less         x86_64  458-13.fc21 fedora 125 k
  libpipeline  x86_64  1.3.0-4.fc21 fedora 49 k

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package (+2 Dependent packages)

Total size: 1.9 M
Installed size: 2.0 M

Installed:
   man-db.x86_64 0:2.6.7.1-10.fc21

Dependency Installed:
   less.x86_64 0:458-13.fc21          libpipeline.x86_64 0:1.3.0-4.fc21