man-db without cache update (no cron or systemd *.timer)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 12:07:47 UTC 2014

On 10/16/2014 12:03 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 05:53:41PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> I discussed this with Peter Schiffer and the end result was in the
>> future the man-db cron should be removed and man-db database should
>> be updated with rpm triggerand the cron job should be kept as is
>> until then, presicecly to prevent this from happening ( systemd
>> being pulled in when it should not or component magically expecting
>> it to be there )  and correct dependency on coreOS/baseOS components
>> would be kept.
>>
>> Just make FESCO/FPC clean this up it was them who decided not to
>> make it mandatory what should or should not be migrated to timer
>> units and this is precisely the fallout I had expected from not
>> doing that.
> I'm not seeing a problem here. If Peter said "no way! I'm migrating to timer
> units", then maybe we would need to revisit. But as predicted, that's a
> non-issue. There really is no crisis here — we can continue to make
> incremental improvements as things come up, and if someone — you or anyone
> else! —is interested in reviving a concerted effort to do
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/cron-to-systemd-time-units>,
> I'm all for it.

Obviously you have never had to implement features on the scale I had
bumbing into the brokenness in the distribution while at it and I'm
still waiting for you to picked that up, you where such an expert on the
matter so man up and complete this yourself and god forbit that anyone
has to clean up the mess you leave behind!