Qt 5 Fedora 21 packages

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Oct 16 12:24:53 UTC 2014

There are several strategies:

* The <bin>-qt5 convention is already used by most distributions, so many
applications/tools have adapted to it already.  If you're aware of any that
haven't yet, I'd be happy to help produce upstreamable patches to implement
such support.

* qt5-qtbase-devel provides rpm macros (in /usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.qt5)
that are useful during package creation, including:
%_qt5_qmake
%_qt5_bindir
As you noted, one way to ensure Qt5 gets used is to prepend %_qt5_bindir to
$PATH.  This is essentially what kf5's %_cmake_kf5 (and similarly
%_cmake_kde4) macros do.

* As far as 'moc', that's not *usually* a tool an end-user typically runs,
so we've never seen a need to provide easy access (via pkg-config, or rpm
macro).  If you have a justifiable use-case, we can certainly add it.

* there's a developer tool 'qtchooser' that allows users to switch between
default Qt developer environments.  For the Qt5 qmake case,
$ qtchooser -qt=qt5 -run-tool=qmake
qtchooser is a little controversial (not universally endorsed by the kde-
sig), so currently it is not recommended to rely on it in any fedora package
builds.

-- Rex