man-db without cache update (no cron or systemd *.timer)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 14:49:47 UTC 2014

On 10/16/2014 01:30 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:35:13AM +0200, Jan Chaloupka wrote:
>> Forwarding Colin's response
>> =================================

>> Have you considered installing the timer file, but without the
>> dependency?  If systemd is there, it could use it, otherwise not.  That
>> would make a whole lot more sense to me than creating another package,
>> and would be my recommendation.
> Nope, this is not going to work. If there's no dependency on systemd
> then during installation rpm can install man-db before systemd and
> and the timer will not get enabled. Currently it is not possible to
> install systemd units without a dependency on systemd.

Right which in turn will lead up to the scenario I tried to explain
thousand times with FESCO that we would end up having components depend
on systemd when they should not and with absolutely no benefit of and
worse outcome as well as more frustrating aministrator/enduser
experience than continuing to use cron for those jobs as well as
obfuscating the work of those working on cleaning up the core/baseOS.

If it would have made sense to migrate every cron job to timer units I
would have written and filed a feature proposal then and there which
would achieve exactly that but the fact is that systemd timers and
cronie are two component that complement each others short comings and
systemd has quite few of those shortcomings compared to cron.

Unfortunately people only seem to see the outcome for their own
component or their ( cloud ) product instead of thinking about the whole.

If people are so inclined and anxious to drop that cron job then they
should spend their time and energy and write that rpm trigger(s) for man
in accordance with what Peter Schiffer said as opposed to try to
implement this with timer units and or workaround the FPG.

JBG