Qt 5 Fedora 21 packages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 15:45:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:27:57 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> > It looks like one could simply prepend
> >
> >   /usr/lib64/qt5/bin
> >
> > to $PATH to make available the executables, which are renamed to avoid
> > conflicts with other Qt versions.
>
> There you have your "wrapper script":
> export PATH="%{_qt5_bindir}:$PATH"

As pointed out, I would have preferred a brief %description or README.Fedora
as a quickstart rather than examining package contents and trying to figure
out whether something is is the right way to do it and not only a work-around.
It could also have been that setting environment variables would be _the_
way to point Qt detection configure scripts at the right places.

Obviously, adjusting $PATH is what I've done as a work-around, albeit not using
the RPM macro, because I only looked in /etc/rpm because I always forget about
the new directory.

It could have been more convenient to use the rpms. That's all!

> IMHO, it doesn't make sense to install a one-line script, one that would
> also have to be sourced rather than run normally.

I mentioned a "helper script" based on the assumption that there might
be more environment variables that need adjustment. ;-)