No more deltarpms by default

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Fri Oct 17 03:40:15 UTC 2014

My comment was not meant to be argumentative, but rather tongue-in-cheek.
However, I do believe when changing a default, it isn't about what is
convenient for me.  It's about what is best for the entire community and
what are the real world ramifications.  I'm not buying the "let's change
the default because high bandwidth is pervasive argument".

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest:

1.  Most people who can afford to pay the monthly recurring cost for a high
speed bandwidth connection have multi-core machines.
2.  People who are running Fedora on multiple machines possess the skill
set to easily change the default and turn Presto off if they wish.

I can't speak for other countries, but in the USA low cost high speed
bandwidth is not pervasive.  We're fighting about net neutrality and the
FCC is trying to change the definition of a broadband connection.  The
carriers are fighting it.  They are constantly looking for ways to cut
bandwidth, shape traffic.  Most people would rather use their bandwidth to
stream media than to get an update applied a little faster.

What about the repositories and mirrors?  Do they all have unlimited, cheap
bandwidth?

Who is the target demographic of Fedora?  People with single-core machines
and high speed broadband?

What about people with slow connections?  Is our response to them "sucks to
be you?"

Yes, not everyone can afford to buy a new machine - but neither can
everyone afford to pay the monthly recurring cost for high speed
broadband.  The purpose of Presto is still sound.  It was a good idea then,
it remains a good idea now.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Presto

Full disclosure:  Yes, I have a high speed broadband connection.  I'd
rather use it for streaming and other downloading than  downloading full
RPMs.  It doesn't bother me if it takes a few more minutes to update my
system.  I do it when I'm sleeping anyway.