No more deltarpms by default

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Oct 17 05:12:14 UTC 2014

On 10/17/2014 05:40 AM, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> My comment was not meant to be argumentative, but rather
> tongue-in-cheek.  However, I do believe when changing a default, it
> isn't about what is convenient for me.  It's about what is best for the
> entire community and what are the real world ramifications.
IMO, the default should be about "what fits most users needs bests".

> I'll go out on a limb here and suggest:
>
> 1.  Most people who can afford to pay the monthly recurring cost for a
> high speed bandwidth connection have multi-core machines.
> 2.  People who are running Fedora on multiple machines possess the skill
> set to easily change the default and turn Presto off if they wish.

> I can't speak for other countries, but in the USA low cost high speed
> bandwidth is not pervasive.  We're fighting about net neutrality and the
> FCC is trying to change the definition of a broadband connection.
The same applies to my home country (Germany) and as I would guess
probably most of the "Western World".

> What about the repositories and mirrors?  Do they all have unlimited,
> cheap bandwidth?
Probably not all, but I guess, most of them have.

> Who is the target demographic of Fedora?
I thought, we are talking about "defaults"/"presets" and not about
disabling delta-rpms at all?

Changing the default would not be much a problem to me, but not
providing delta-rpms could likely become a problem.

> People with single-core
> machines and high speed broadband?
> What about people with slow connections?  Is our response to them "sucks
> to be you?"
> Yes, not everyone can afford to buy a new machine
Also keep in mind that we are in the age of mobile platforms, i.e. a
"user's situation" isn't necessarily static. A user may prefer "full
rpms" in one situation but may prefer "delta rpms" in another.

E.g. you may have a high-speed broadband at your "usual places" (at
home/in the office), but you may easily find yourself in situations with
access to a slow, unreliable and costly internet connection, were using
full rpms could be prohibitive.

Ralf