No more deltarpms by default

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Fri Oct 17 12:53:56 UTC 2014

On 10/17/2014 05:09, Reindl Harald wrote:
> on a 56kbit modem you don't want to download the full RPMs and on a
> 150Mbit line the download will always be faster than rebuild the RPM

Perhaps this has already been suggested, but why not ask a question
during the installation of the OS?  For example, during the installation
process it may be possible to simply ask the user whether they want to
set themselves up for full downloads or not. Based on the answer to the
question, you can choose delta RPMS or not.  It is also possible to put
something in the output of running an update that says to some effect,
"If you want to limit bandwidth usage, <insert instructions on how to
adjust the settings here>."  Those are just two examples of how it may
be possible to have the best of both worlds.  Anyone who has played
video games over the past couple of decades knows that questions about
one's Internet connection speed are the norm during
installation/configuration so perhaps it makes sense to implement
something similar in this instance.

Also, for what it's worth, for the past 25+ years I've been part of a
development team that writes code for products like a physician practice
management system and software that automates wholesale distributors.
Anytime we introduce a new configuration option we try to offer as much
choice as possible without taking functionality away from those that
expect it to remain the way it is.  Choice is key in this process and
every time we've embraced it our customers have been happiest.

Tom