No more deltarpms by default

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Fri Oct 17 17:03:14 UTC 2014

On 10/17/2014 11:29, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Tom Rivers wrote:
>
>     I didn't call them stupid - in fact I suggested just the opposite.
>

> I did.  You said "My point is that users aren't too stupid to
> understand bandwidth/processor considerations".  I am just saying even
> if one doesn't understand these considerations, they aren't stupid.

If you deconstruct the sentence you quoted above, it boils down to the
subject "users" and the predicate "aren't".  Therefore I said quite
specifically that users ARE NOT "too stupid to understand
bandwidth/processor considerations."  The inverse of that statement is
the users ARE "smart enough to understand bandwidth/processor
considerations."

More to the point, I went on to bolster the notion that Linux users are
capable of understanding what's at play by saying this:  "These are
Linux users after all."  That sentence is meant to infer that using
Linux requires a decent amount of skill, something that again goes
against the notion that I have somehow called them stupid.

Overall, the entire point of me advocating that users should be asked
whether they want to endure large amounts of bandwidth/processor usage
during system updates is predicated on the notion that they CAN answer
the question intelligently.  It would make absolutely no sense to posit
querying users if they couldn't respond intelligently.

Please don't persist in asserting I'm saying people are stupid.  It
quite simply is not the case.

Tom