civil discussion on fedora lists

Miroslav Suchy msuchy at redhat.com
Sat Oct 18 07:10:46 UTC 2014

On 10/17/2014 08:31 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> You can say something like "I'm not sure I understand the point you are
> making. Particularly, I don't see how __________ follows. Can you explain
> that in more depth?"
>
> And conversely, if you feel like your position isn't being listened to, try
> "I guess I'm not making myself very clear. Let me try to restate.... Does
> this make more sense?"

Ha Ha. I heard exactly that from my English teacher several weeks ago.
For myself, this is cultural difference too. I would never use such
wording in my native language. (Disclaimer: I'm not targeting the
original thread, but disagreement in general).

> You don't need to agree in the end, but you can get a better understanding,
> and unlike a back-and-forth email jousting match, it can be helpful for
> people reading along as well.

If you guys are replying to the same thread twice+ in hour  then there
is something wrong. Please leave the second email open and send it
tomorrow. In the mean time:
  * others can step into discussion too
  * you may find there was just cultural difference
  * you may find there was language barrier as lots of contributors does
not speak English fluently.
  * or it is just not worth to continue in discussion and rather do some
coding.
If you still find your email useful the day after, then send it. But I
very often delete it, because when the dust settle I do not find it
constructive any more.

Mirek

P.S. Yes, this email have been in Draft folder over night before I hit
Send button.