civil discussion on fedora lists

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Oct 18 15:46:09 UTC 2014

Am 18.10.2014 um 17:10 schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 01:14:52PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> Ha Ha. I heard exactly that from my English teacher several weeks ago.
>>> For myself, this is cultural difference too. I would never use such
>>> wording in my native language. (Disclaimer: I'm not targeting the
>>> original thread, but disagreement in general)
>> +1
>> nobody i know in real life talks that way, really nobody, never
>
> In addition to being a possible difference in culture or language,
> there's another important difference: email provides very a limited
> form of communication, with none of the nuance of an in-person
> conversation. It is extra-easy to misinterpret, and impossible to gauge
> the reaction of other parties until they actively respond. And, often,
> discussions here don't have the supporting framework of trust built in
> a real-life friendship — the other person is just words on the screen.
>
> So, it's valuable to work extra hard at a collaborative communication
> style, even if it doesn't come naturally. And, really, this is a
> learned behavior in any culture — it's not something humans are
> necessarily good at automatically. But we _can_ be, and I want Fedora
> to be a shining example of it

well, and other side of the coin is anger when somebody talks and talks
and talks with a lot of nice phrases to embed everybody in honey until
you have to find the needle what he is trying to tell you

that don't work in a technical discussion

have you ever considered that these permenanently "be nice and gentle"
because a few not so perfect words does sometimes more harm than the
words himself?