civil discussion on fedora lists

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Oct 18 20:51:52 UTC 2014

Am 18.10.2014 um 22:43 schrieb Simo Sorce:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 13:14:52 +0200
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> Ha Ha. I heard exactly that from my English teacher several weeks
>>> ago. For myself, this is cultural difference too. I would never use
>>> such wording in my native language. (Disclaimer: I'm not targeting
>>> the original thread, but disagreement in general)
>>
>> +1
>>
>> nobody i know in real life talks that way, really nobody, never
>
> Let me try to understand, when you say nobody does that, do you mean
> that when a stranger does not understand what your are saying, say for
> example at the cashier in a supermarket.
>
> They do not say something like:
>   "Sorry , I did not understand, can you repeat ?"

the say "bitte?" like "please" in english (one single word) but for sure
not "I'm not sure I understand the point you are making. Particularly, I
don't see how __________ follows. Can you explain that in more depth?" -
nowehere, never in real life

> And instead say:
>  "You are a moron that doesn't know how to speak GTFO now!"

nobody said anything like that in the whole thread the OP referred to
and nobody neends to pack "WTF are you talking about" in a paragraph
with 50 lines to be as polite as possible

read the last interview of Linus and you maybe understand what i am
talking about - packing the relevant information in 100 lines of
pseudo-code to be polite, friendly and the best human in the world don't
help anybody

people not taking every single word personal in a technical dicussion
would help everyone because the noise/information ratio would be much
more appropriate