No more deltarpms by default

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon Oct 20 10:31:10 UTC 2014

On Fr, 2014-10-17 at 11:49 +0000, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Roberto Ragusa <mail <at> robertoragusa.it> writes:
>
> > Are compressed rpms completely impossible to diff efficiently by rsync?
>
> In a word, yes. They're already compressed, so it's unlikely there would be
> any matching blocks between old and new rpms for rsync to take advantage of.

Years ago I saw rsync being patched for this (done by suse IIRC).

Basic trick is to teach rsync to unpack/repack rpms, thereby effectively
rsyning the files within the rpm, which works *alot* better than using
the compressed rpm payload.

Obvious downside is that it is very cpu consuming, which likely is a
showstopper at least for public mirrors (and I guess it never went
upstream for that reason).

cheers,
  Gerd