No more deltarpms by default

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Oct 20 12:09:44 UTC 2014

Am 20.10.2014 um 13:57 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 4:22 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> Am 20.10.2014 um 04:02 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:

>>> It starts with the the fact that your script has not
>>> verified *any* of your RPM's, and reposync does not ordinarily verify
>>> file contents unless you activate GPG verification. So any partial
>>> transfer or interrupted transfer will effectively corrupted your local
>>> repo, especially if anything else is dependent on that package. Do
>>> take a look at the github scripts I pointed out, they do a more
>>> thorough job.
>>

>> what are you talking about reposync all the time?
>
> You've a point, I was misreading your script.

now we come together :-)

not that it is a large or complex script

>> frankly i have posted the whole source above
>> "/buildserver/repo-create.sh" can be read as "createrepo && chown && chmod
>> && rsync-to-failover maschine on the cluster"
>
> Mind you, putting this stuff in places like "/repo/cache" and
> "/buildserver" is a direct violation of the file system hierarchy, but
> that's your own local policy and potential problem.

that are just symlinks and having that folders not in the FHS means
never ever some package will start to use them - so violate the FHS is
by intention also as mountpoints for datadisks /Volumes/dune

>> */var/cache/yum/* is the source *after* ran updates on that machine ordinary
>> with yum - guess what - after that suceeded the RPM's GPG verified and
>> *that* is what i try to explain the whole time - yum don't need to know
>> about deltarpm and so other scripts using the yum-cache don't too
>
> I do think you'd be much better off with using rsync and a local
> mirror. You can point it to architectures and OS releases you aren't
> currently running, and point it to include all potential updates. Even
> your your setup, you can use 'yum --doanloadonly' and 'yum install *'
> to ensure the presence of more packages in /var/cache/yum

no because anything wich touchs the infarstructure is tested or in a lot
of cases built on that machine (sample setups and so on) and there is no
need for anything more starting 2008 on F9 until now upgraded with yum
to F20 on around 30 machines

>>> Last, doing this on an individual machine does not scale You're
>>> chewing up disk space on each machine, and bandwitdh, with all the
>>> required 'repodata' downloads
>>
>> WTF - no single other machine has *any* repo in the WAN configured
>
> *That* part was missing. You've configured your local hosts to all
> point to an individual mirror? And that local repo has *all* packages
> you might possibly install on the other machines?

no it was not, please go back to the first message you responded to

the idea doing what i described is to not have any machine touch repos
in the internt and so after test a update which don't work on the
buildserver results in delete it instead push to the local repo so no
other machine can see it - frankly if you build up a maitained
infrastructure you don't want that one server has a chance to pull a
more recent mirror and update stuff you have never seen in the QA

the first message you responded to had the following paragraph you even
quoted

 >> that few lines below are enough to use createrepo and
 >> build up a local cache without mirror the whole upstream,
 >> you just need to have one machine with any pakcge you
 >> use installed on it - works perfect over 6 years including
 >> dist-upgrades *and* benefits from deltarpm in the first step

as well follow-up quotes from you contained